Tourism Statistics 


Sources of Data:  A/D Cards & Shipping Manifests
  3/23/2015  Research and Statistics Division, OTPRIM 
Statistics Article 

Visitor Receipts.  Total earnings gained from inbound tourism for January 2015 amounted to Php 22.48 billion (US$ 503.99 million) with an increase of 6.63% from January 2014’s earnings of Php 21.08 billion (US$469.28 million). 




Visitors from Korea provided the highest contribution with Php7.57 billion, accounting for 33.67% of total inbound receipts. United States of America followed with Php3.14 billion comprising 13.96%share, Canada (Php 1.67 billion) and Australia (Php1.55 billion). Japan with Php908.92 million provided the 5th biggest visitor receipts for the month. 




Average daily expenditure (ADE) of international visitors for the month of January 2015 grew by 6.33% was recorded at Php 4,029.02 in 2014 to Php 4,284.25 in 2015.   On the other hand, average length of stay (ALoS) in January 2015 was longer by 0.79 nights, registering 11.51 nights versus the January 2014 ALoS of 10.72 nights.  



Average per capita expenditure of visitors for the month in review was Php 49,311.75, higher by 14.17% or Php 6,120.68 more than the  Php 43,191.07 per capita expenditure reported a year ago.



Visitor Arrivals.  Visitor arrivals in January 2015 yielded 479,149 which is 3.85% higher than the January 2014 arrivals of 461,383.  The expansion in visitor volume for January can be attributed to the increases in tourist arrivals from the main markets such as Korea which grew by 24.39%, Australia which grew by 12.21%, Japan with growth of 8.62%, U.S.A with growth of 8.24% and Canada with a 9.19% growth.





Visitor Markets.  Asia contributed the biggest arrivals for the Philippines during the month with 278,243 visitors for a share of 58.07% to the total arrivals.  Americas followed with 95,833for a market share of 20.00%; Europe which comprised 11.60% of the total, contributed 55,582 arrivals, Australasia/Pacific (5.83%) and Overseas Filipinos (3.39%).  




During the year, Korea maintained its position as the leading source market for the country with 147,163 visitors for a 30.71% share to total inbound traffic.  This figure is higher by 24.39% vis-a-visits arrivals of 118,308 in 2014 and is the second highest growth rate achieved among the top twelve markets of the country.  The biggest growth was recorded by Malaysia with 40.92% by contributing 12,256 arrivals versus its yield of 8,697 in January 2014.



The United States of America remained the second biggest source with 76,896 arrivals for 16.05% market share. Visitors from USA expanded by 8.24% compared to its contribution of 71,042 a year ago.  Japan ranked third with 38,190 visitors, constituting 7.97% of the total visitor volume. This market posted an increase of 8.62% versus its year ago arrivals of 35,160.



Arrivals from Australia produced 23,281 visitors for a share of 4.86% to total inbound traffic, dislodging China in the fourth position.  This market marked a significant growth of 12.21% compared to its corresponding arrivals of 20,747 in 2014.  China declined by 57.28% from 49,538 in 2014 to 21,164 this year to settle in 5th position.



Other high yielding markets included:  Canada with 17,922 arrivals (3.74% share), Singapore with 12,995 arrivals (2.71% share), Malaysia with 12,256 arrivals (2.56% share), United Kingdom with 11,967 arrivals (2.50% share), Taiwan with 11,804 arrivals (2.46% share), Hong Kong with 7,858 arrivals (1.64% share), and Germany with 7,848 arrivals (1.64% share).



Port of Entry.  Air arrivals comprised 98.18% of the total visitors while 1.82% came to the country by sea.  Manila being the primary port of entry welcomed the majority of visitors with a share of 71.66% or 343,362 arrivals.  342,017 (99.61%) of these arrivals disembarked at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport while the rest at 1,344 (0.39%) arrived through the port of Manila.   On the other hand, Mactan-Cebu International Airport (MCIA) received 76,743 arrivals or 16.02%% of the total traffic base.



Arrivals to Kalibo formed 7.45%% of the total visitor volume, totaling 35,678 visitors to become the third biggest port in terms of arrivals.  On the other hand, Clark received a total of 15,217 visitors to constitute 3.18% of the total arrivals.




Other ports with substantial arrivals include Palawan with 4,994 arrivals disembarking through their port and Davao by registering 1,627 arrivals.  Arrivals to other ports summed up to 1,529 arrivals.





Prepared by:    Tourism Research and Statistics Division (TRSD),

Office of Tourism Planning, Research and Information Management (OTPRIM)

Tourism Development Planning (TDP), Tourism Development,


e-mail @





 Click here to download Statistics files 

 (note: click on the DOWNLOADABLES tab)


Copyright © 2009 All rights reserved.
Best viewed using Internet Explorer 7 and Mozilla Version 3